Save Money on Tools Using Everyday Objects

When I first began making jewelry, I ran out and purchased every available tool I could afford. On some of the more overpriced tools, I'd hold out until the tool either went on sale or I could get a hold of a store coupon.

As I became more comfortable with my jewelry making techniques, I found myself wanting to save my tool money for the purchase of jewelry making supplies like polymer clay, wire and findings. This led me to began looking around my home for suitable tool substitutions. 


Look around your home for inspiration. Remember though, once it's used on clay, do not reuse on food. Polymer clay is non toxic but the manufactures recommend never mix the two. My rule of thumb? If I can't dedicate what ever it is as a polymer clay tool, I don't use it. 

Now on to the good stuff. Here are some inexpensive everyday items you can find around your home. 

Rollers
Yes. I automatically ran out and bought an acrylic roller and brayer for my clay. Since those days, I now also use an ordinary drinking glass and a rolling pin. Both were Thrift Store finds.  

Acrylic Sheets
I bought a acrylic sheet years ago. It measures 2.5" x 7.0".  It's not very wide and works best for small projects.   

I still use it often but on projects like rolling small to medium beads. When I need a larger sheet for larger beads or swirls, I use a CD cover. If I need something larger still, I remove the glass found in small picture frames. My favorite find is the glass from a 5" x 7" picture frame.  I purchased it from the Salvation Army Thrift Shop for 0.25 cents.   

Jump Ring Makers
I use all sorts of around the house items depending on the jump ring size I'm looking for. 

Any round handle will do, This includes screw drivers, pens, utensils, etc. See photo for a clearer explanation.  

I have also found handles that were oval and square in shape. Those handles make for a nice variation to the all so common round jump ring. 

Cookie Cutters
I no longer purchase full priced cutters that claim they are specifically designed for clay. They are just cutters but carry a hefty price tag.

I now purchase my cutters from places like the 99 cent store, Walmart and Big Lot's. 

I did recently purchased a nice set of cookie cutters from Michael's. Large crafting stores like Michael's will have a great sale when seasonal items are no longer in season. 

The trick with the more expensive craft stores is to just keep your eyes open and use your coupons. You never know what will end up in the discount bin.

Letter Stamping
I use alphabet soup. Yep! Plain old dry pasta. The only downfall is it consists of letters only. No numbers or special characters. Oh well, for 0.35 cents a bag, I can carve my own numbers.

Bottom Line, times are hard so save your money. Look around. What do you see? 

Some other items I use are old light bulbs, empty soda cans and potatoes. Can you guess which tools they've replacing? I bet you can't.

Have you made substitutes? Then share with us. Oh look at the time. Coffee Break over. 

Happy hunting on your new found tools.

Dee.

No comments:

Post a Comment