Pendants & Earrings with Premo Accents

I wrote a very similar post on Dec. 28, 2014. It can be found here. It provides more photos and details for this technique.
_____________ 


Yesterday, I crafted some pendants that will be displayed during a trunk show hosted at a friend's home next month. If you have been reading my blog, you will notice my brand is creating asymmetric jewelry using warm tones.  

Now, on to the pendants. The polymer clay colors chosen were all Premo Accent colors of 1oz size bars. The colors used are Red Glitter, Bronze, 18-karat Gold, Copper and Translucent.

All bars were chopped into little pieces and conditioned. I find chopping them up first allows the conditioning process to go a little faster. Some people use a food processor for this step. I just use a sharp blade.



Next, I laid the colors side by side and ran them thru a pasta machine until the desired colors were reached (technique is called a Skinner Blend). 

In the photo, you'll notice the clay became distorted while being run through the pasta machine. When this happens, I just cut off enough of the edges to make the clay a  rectangle shape again.
 

Once your clay is blended into the colors you'd like to use, cut out slices and roll the pieces into balls. There is an example of this step here.

The final step is deciding if the is left as a bead, flattened or swirled. My beads were flattened or swirled.  

It is a good idea to add the hole now. After the piece is baked, you'll need a drill to make a hole.

Viola! I'm done.  Time to bake @ 275 degrees for 30 minutes per 1/4".


Finished Pendants

2 comments:

  1. I like the first one the best. It looks like a bird. What type of chain are you going to use? Do you have a shop or a online store?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue. I'm going to use a handmade gold chain. As for a shop? I signed up with Etsy but have not listed anything yet. Hopefully, my shop will be up before the end of next month. Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete