Need Beads? Then Make Some

I was in the need for some colorful beads. There is a craft fair coming up soon and I want to apply for a space as a vendor. 

One of the requirements is a photo of your booth. Since the holidays, my finished pieces have dwindled (yeah, good sales this last season). 

Anyway, I need more bracelets and necklaces to fill out my display. My bead stash is low so it's time to make some additional beads. Time to replenish my stash. 


I made these beautiful beads using Navy Blue, Pearl, Gold and Transparent Premo Accents Sculpey polymer clay's with a few drops of Adirondack alcohol inks of Current and Pesto colors. The clay/ink mixture was conditioned, squished together, rolled into a ball, hole punched and baked.


The next round of beads were created using a different technique. I conditioned Transparent, Pearl White, and Navy Blue Premo Accents polymer clays. In order to add a glitter affect, I also added a sheet of Mona Lisa's metal leaf foil. 

As you can see in the next picture, the transparent clay was rolled flat. A piece of gold metal leaf foil was layered on top of the transparent clay. 

The clay was then rolled through my pasta machine on #7 setting. Rolling on a thinner setting adheres the metal leaf foil and spreads it out among the translucent clay.

For the colors, I rolled a thin snake of blue and pearl clay's. Those colors were chopped into small pieces and sprinkled at random over the translucent/metal leaf foil mix (see next photo). Once sprinkled, I cut the clay into even slices. The even slices will insure beads of the same size.

Next, I squished the clay together and kept mixing until I began seeing colors emerge in the clay I liked. When you try this, don't blend too much. Remember, the more you blend the more detail you will lose in your finished pieces. 

My new beads (first photo) were used for a bracelet I just completed. 

The silver used for this new bracelet was from 18 gauge Artistic Wire (it's tarnish proof). The shapes of the wire were made using a tool called a Thing A Ma Jig. It's a metal board where you arrange pegs in the desired shape you want. Then, you wrap the wire around the pegs to form your new shape.

I also hammered the metal pieces down with a rubber mallot to take some of the smoothness out of the wire. The jump rings were added to strengthen the free handed shapes.

The clasps were handmade as well. Just a few turns with the pliers. I love using freehand patterns. I believe that's why my jewelry is received so well. My fans and followers like a unique look as well. 

All and all, I'm very pleased with the outcome of my bracelet.

Okay, coffee break over. Time to start a new project. Think I'll make some earrings this time. 

Catch you next Sunday with another update.
Click here to view my portfolio

Dee.



No comments:

Post a Comment